For many, it’s a taboo topic that few like to discuss. At the same time, it’s a vital tool that many new couples utilize to protect both parties in the event of a divorce. Regardless of which side of the spectrum you fall on, it’s important to understand the role and benefits of a prenuptial agreement long before saying, “I do.” At Sercu Law, our team of Rochester NY family attorneys are dedicated to helping new couples in fully understanding the best ways to protect their assets and family members, alike.
While they’re generally regarded as a way for one party to protect assets and financial resources, a prenuptial agreement can offer a wide range of benefits when it comes to preventing stress and ensuring a comfortable financial future for the entire family. Here are just a few of the more important considerations to keep in mind as you plan your wedding.
- A sound way to ensure a fair, balanced distribution of assets and resources
- Prenuptial agreements help keeps all assets within control of the family
- Offers greater protection from debts your spouse may have accumulated
- Eliminates the need for state involvement when distributing wealth and assets
- A proven way to help streamline the divorce process if things don’t work out
- Can help protect your children and business from additional stress or burden
If you’re planning a marriage and would like to know more about the benefits of having a prenuptial agreement implemented, or to schedule an initial consultation with one of our attorneys, get in touch with Sercu Law today. We’re based in Pittsford and proudly serve the entire Rochester and WNY region. We can be reached by phone at 585-385-2510 or via email through our website’s secure and confidential contact page.